Apps to Help Road Warriors Stay Fit
Got your smartphone? Then you’ve got a portable coach and all the motivational nudge you need to stay fit and eat right when you’re on the road. Work out, count calories, compete socially – there’s also no easier way to scope out a place to hike, bike, or swim when you’re somewhere unfamiliar.
New apps abound but some stick at the top of most lists. Got a favorite? Be sure to let us know. Here are some to try, and many are free.
• Nexercise – Fitness meets competitive gaming and social networking for extra fun.
• Nike Training Club – 85 workouts for cardio, toning, and strength.
• Hatha Yoga – Customize, many classes at different levels, highly rated.
• Office Yoga – 75 anywhere exercises for small spaces.
• Pocket Yoga – 27 sessions, different levels.
• Daniel Miller’s Daily Cardio Workout – Short, targeted workouts for people with little time and no equipment
• Gorilla Workout – Fast-paced, no-equipment collection of cardio/strength workouts.
• Runkeeper – Track time, pace, calories, store and share info, audio cues, listen to music, check heart rate, great for a wide range of activities.
• Nike+ Running – Map, track, motivate, get audio feedback, listen to PowerSongs.
Local foods, places, reviews
• Goby – Find a world of things near you, including recreation, tours, health and fitness opportunities.
• Yelp – Another app to find places to eat, exercise, play, relax, and have fun.
• Restaurant Nutrition – Nutrition data for thousands of eateries lets you track what you’re putting in your body.
• MyFitnessPal – Scan barcodes to count calories and track fitness.
• Swimguide – Closest and cleanest beaches.
• Oakley Surf Reports, Surfline – Surfing forecasts.
• Riverguide for Kayakers – Check out how your destination river is running before you get there
• Backpacker GPS Trails – Find routes, track, geotag photos, navigate, and keep stats.
That’s just a sample of what’s out there. We’re sure you know of some great ones so let us know. E6 is also a great travel companion for extra energy on demand, including in your hotel room as you’re working out.
Photo courtesy of by Fit Approach via Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fitapproach/6814589739/ Creative Commons License.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.