Feed Your Brain for Focus
Did you know that your brain is a huge energy sink? It takes an amazing 20% of your energy to keep it running, even though it makes up a small part of your body mass. What’s more, your brain can’t store the energy it needs. It’s looking for a steady supply through your bloodstream.
So it’s smart to feed your brain right, especially when you need it most, like during final exams – with no dips, drops, or energy shortages.
Here are a few tips:
- Recognize and fend off a slump. Pay attention the next time you’re feeling low on energy. Do you have a hard time concentrating? Feel lethargic? Can’ decide what to do next? Ask yourself when and what you ate last, and compare with choices, below.
- Eat breakfast: It’s so easy to skip breakfast, or to grab a pastry with coffee. But most people hit their mental peak during the first few hours they’re awake. If you don’t “break the fast” and feed your brain in the morning, you can miss out on your top performance of the day. Along with protein, for breakfast be sure to have complex carbs, like fruit and whole grain bread.
- Eat brain fuel: The brain’s favorite food is glucose, a type of sugar. But the best way to feed your brain is not by eating spoonfuls of refined sugar. Instead, your brain thrives on steady energy released over a period of time — in the form of complex carbohydrates, which break down slowly into glucose. So choose whole fruits, veggies, whole grains, and dairy products. Stay away from refined sugars, which cause energy spikes and valleys. Check out some other ideas for surviving finals and eating power foods here.
- Time it right: Don’t go hours without eating. Or if you have to, be sure to have some E6 Energy Strips or Shots to plug the gap. E6 targets what your brain needs, without excess sugar or caffeine.
- Caffeine, in the right amount: Caffeine can make you more alert and enhance memory. Just know how much is right for you, and skip the jitters.
Your brain needs energy, so feed it right!
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.